OK everyone, let's make this blog title accurate. Get me to Antarctica!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Despite all my traveling earlier this spring, I really don't get to travel much. I have NEVER left North America. Until June 2004 I had never left the United States! My total international travel is one day trip to Vancouver, BC, Canada and about 48 hours in Toronto, ON, Canada.

As a kid looking at travel posters & wallpapering my room with them I always assumed that when I was a grown-up I'd be able to go to all the fantastic places. Unfortunately I've never been able to afford to.

Way back in 2005 or 2006 I discovered the LiveJournal of a guy, McPenguin, who was working over the winter at McMurdo Base in Antarctica. Just reading about it awakened a fascination with Antarctica in me. I'm now also following two other Antarcticans on LJ, one currently at the South Pole and one currently at McMurdo. I've picked up books about Antarctica. It became an obsession - an awesome place, but one that I would most certainly never in my life experience.

Then, in August of 2009, I discovered that Quark Expeditions was giving away an all expenses trip for two on one of their cruises to Antarctica. It was called "Blog Your Way To Antarctica" and the winner was determined solely by the number of votes. I posted on LJ & Facebook & Twitter lobbying for votes. And I did ok. I ended up placing about 22nd out of several hundred competitors. I even started this Frozen Sharon blog as a place to expand upon the 300 character limit.

I was so hopeful that I would win that contest that I even finally got a passport! Yes, at 39 years old I got my first passport. I have 10 years to use it! So when I did not win that first Quark Expeditions contest this blog also became a rarely updated log of my attempts to win other trips, and also updates of the little bit of traveling I've done here in the US.

Now, Quark has another contest going. It's pretty much the same where you have 300 words to convince people to vote for you. This time though, they will look at the top FIVE entrants and choose from there. So, I only have to make it to the top five this time! Of course they'll pick me, right? I'm currently in 39th place and less than 400 votes will get me to the top 5.

Please vote for me! http://www.adventurewithjulie.com/blogs/view/96

Please tell your friends, family, and everyone else to vote for me! http://www.adventurewithjulie.com/blogs/view/96

Please put it on your Twitter! Shorter custom link: http://bit.ly/FStoSoPole

Please join my Facebook group and invite all your friends! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120863593910

Thank you!

0 comments: